Monday, August 06, 2018

Camping 2018

My family spent last week on our annual camping trip in the Tillamook State Forest.  We lucked out and got one of our favorite spots, right where a creek runs into a river.  It's beautiful and there are crawdads galore for the kids to find! 

We "primitive" camp, which means we haul in our own water and dig our own toilet hole, but we have also collected enough camping gear over the years that it's not really roughing it.  This year we used part of our tax return and added a huge camp kitchen and two XL cots from Cabelas to our supplies.  We also got a little pop-up tent to go over our toilet (which my husband built out of plywood and black plastic). 

I spent most of the week reading.  I read two whole books and finished four others.  Most were great, one not so much.  I love to just sit by the river and read!  My daughter practiced lots of outdoor skills, made swords out of sticks and rope, and got to do a little target practice with her BB gun.  My husband spent most of his time dozing by the campfire. 

On Thursday my sister-in-law showed up with her family.  This is our tradition - we go first, spend two to three nights on our own, then overlap for two to three nights, and then we go home and they stay on their own for a few nights.  This year we had two nights together and it was not enough!  The kids ride their bikes around on the logging roads, hunt for crawdads in the river, and generally have a fantastic time together. 

Here are a few pictures of our adventures!

We love the river!

Staking down the pop-up.

Our tent by the river - nature's white noise.

This book was AMAZING.

No, we didn't eat him!

In the swimming hole.  COLD WATER!

My Girl Scout got lots of outdoor skills practice!

We were lucky to get a spot where we could have a campfire!

In the firelight.  I love this picture.



No comments: