Friday, April 06, 2007

Creamed Tuna



This is one of my favorite comfort food meals. When I was growing up, we ate this on many a "Fish Friday" during Lent! We didn't have the eggs in it, though - that was something that hubby's mom did so I started doing that when I started cooking for him. It's a good addition!

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 quart milk
2 cans tuna, packed in water
3 hardboiled eggs, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
salt and pepper to taste
Toast or biscuits

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Mix in flour and cook for a few minutes until it just starts to brown. Meanwhile, heat the milk in the microwave for 2 minutes (so it's not totally cold when it hits the pan). Add milk to the flour and butter mixture. Cook and stir until it bubbles and thickens. Add tuna, eggs, onions, and spices. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until it's heated through. Serve over toast or biscuits (I just posted the biscuit recipe).

Note: Lots of people put peas in this, and you can if you want. We're purists and don't want veggies in our tuna. If you were going to do this, I would use frozen or fresh peas, not canned. But, then again, I think canned peas are nasty and they're the main reason why I wouldn't touch a pea, unless I was standing in my garden, for the first 29 years or so of my life!

No comments: