Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Chicken and Broccoli Skillet Casserole

Whipped this little number up when I got home late from work tonight.  Helped that I had frozen cooked rice on hand (I always try to make extra and freeze it in two-cup portions). 

Oh, but first, I have to give a little "squeeeee!" about my new toy!  Well, new in that I just used it for the first time today, even though I bought it about six months ago.  It's a microwave steam cooker.  This is the one I bought.  Chopped up my broccoli, threw it in the microwave for three minutes, and voila!  Perfectly steamed.  Microwave steam cooker - where have you been all my life???  I see lots of microwave steaming in my future - I wonder if I could cook rice in this thing???

Anyway, as I was saying, I got home late and hubby didn't want pizza for dinner for the third night in a row, so I knew I had to come up with SOMETHING.  I didn't menu plan this week - I'm flying by the seat of my pants.  I stocked up on chicken at Costco over the weekend, so I threw this together.  
 
2 T. olive oil
12 oz. chicken tenderloin
1 tsp. season salt
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chopped cooked broccoli
2 cups cooked rice
1 cup chicken broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup (we like Pacific Natural Foods)
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
cracked black pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded cheese (I used provolone and parmesan tonight - cheddar would be better)

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in the olive oil (sprinkle one side with the season salt).  After the first side is browned and you turn it over, add onions.  Once chicken is cooked through (about four minutes on each side), cut into bite-size pieces and return to the skillet (I cut it up right in the pan with my spatula). 

Add all remaining ingredients except cheese.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.  Stir in cheese until melted.  Serve immediately. 

Simple, quick, and tasty!

No comments: