Monday, August 12, 2013

Thai Beef Noodles

Originally, this post was to be a review of Rachael Ray's Thai Beef Noodle Bowls, but by the time I finished cooking I'd made so many changes that I'm going to post my adaptation instead.  I made the fried shallots, but they were not good at all so I won't be making them again.  I'd rather just put regular old french fried onions on top. 

But first, a note. I mentioned in my recipe for steak sandwiches that I like to buy presliced beef for certain dishes.  It comes in a 12 ounce, vacuum sealed package.  The outer layer came off when I thawed it in the sink, but this is what the under label looks like.  


And now, on to the recipe!


Thai Curry Beef Noodles
Serves 4

8 ounces spaghetti 
2 T. vegetable oil
12 ounces beef steak, thinly sliced

6 crimini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 medium head of cabbage, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 scallions, sliced
1 c. chicken stock
2 T. Thai red curry paste
1 T. fish sauce
1 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1/2 lime

Cook spaghetti according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Saute beef until almost all the pink is gone.  Remove beef from the pan, and then add mushrooms, cabbage, bell pepper, garlic, and scallions.  Saute for five minutes.  Add chicken stock, cover, and simmer five minutes more.  Return beef to the skillet.  Stir in curry paste, fish sauce, and basil.

Add cooked pasta to the skillet and stir to combine.  Add lime zest and juice, give one final stir, and serve hot.

If you like things a little spicier, serve with siracha on the side.  




No comments: