Wednesday, April 24, 2013

It's the little things that excite me.

This will give you some indication of just how pathetically little it takes to excite me.  Today I was thinking about our menu for the week (which we've followed to the letter so far), and how I hadn't bought any bell peppers for pizza noodles on Friday.   I got three green ones for tonight's stuffed peppers, but hadn't bought any extras, and the colorful ones were too expensive for my end-of-the-pay-period grocery budget.

"No problem," I thought to myself (why yes, I do have conversations with myself about meal planning and preparation - doesn't everyone?), "I'll just open a jar of roasted red peppers."  Problem is, if I open a jar of roasted red peppers without a plan to use up the rest of them, I might as well just throw them away because that's what will happen.

Cut to 5:30 p.m., making the stuffed peppers.  By the way, thank goodness I had a meal plan and pepper filling in the freezer from last time, because I came home early sick yesterday and I really just wanted to make chicken strips and Tater Tots, but I didn't have any chicken strips.   Most weeks, I'd just send my husband to Taco Bell.

Anyway, as I cut the tops of the peppers off, I thought about tossing them in the salad, but then I thought "aha!  Bell pepper chunks!  Pizza noodles!  Problem solved!!!"

I love it when a plan comes together...

And yes, I give you permission to laugh at me now.

No comments: