This is really just a fancy word for processed and smoked meats - sausage, bacon, and the like. This is probably my favorite meat category of all! Here's what we have, and some ideas about what I'll do with it:
- Chicken Garlic and Herb Sausage (1): Sausage and pasta with cream sauce
- Chorizo (of the Mexican variety) (2):
- Chorizo and potatoes (something tells me this would be really good with a fried egg on top)
- Chicken Cheese Sausage (1): We like these just as they are, grilled up with some potatoes on the side.
- Kielbasa-style sausage (I call it kielbasa, but usually it's turkey or chicken smoked sausage) (2): Kielbasa and cabbage
- Hot Dogs (2):
- Hot dogs
- Chili dogs
- Apple Chicken Sausage (1): "The Stuff"
- Breakfast Sausage (1): Irish Sundaes
- Canadian Bacon (1): Actually just used this last night in Pizza Noodles
- Bacon (3): I don't think I need to explain this one - everything's better with bacon!
My husband doesn't like fish other than canned tuna and the occasional grilled salmon steak, so I don't usually keep it on hand. At the moment, I hav:
- Cod (1): Cheesy Fish Sticks
- Tilapia (1): I just like to cook this in parchment with a little butter, garlic, and seasonings.
AKA processed food, in a box or bag, ready to prepare at a moment's notice when I just don't feel like cooking. We don't eat too much of this, as I like to cook and try to eat pretty healthy, but I like to keep a few things on hand (and some things I try to always have on hand). At the moment, we have the following:
- Fish sticks - once upon a time, they made a baked variety of these, but I can't find them anymore so we only have these once in a while.
- Potstickers - my daughter's #1 favorite meal. I always, always, always have potstickers on hand!
- Swedish meatballs - I make these myself but I always make a triple or quadruple batch because, let's face it, making meatballs is tedious work.
- Frozen burritos - bean and cheese for me, red hot chili for hubby and my girl - they like theirs with canned chili dumped over the top.
- Meatless meatballs - I've never had these. I won them in a contest a while back and haven't worked up the courage to try them yet. Someday I'll sneak them into spaghetti and see what kind of faces my family makes.
- Lentil soup - homemade - I like to make a big pot and then freeze it in lunch-size portions to take to work with me.
- Skillet Meals - I just picked these up yesterday for next to nothing on sale with a coupon. Small bags - they say they serve three but I'm dubious. I can always stretch them with extra pasta and vegetables, I suppose.
- Chicken Strips - my daughter's second favorite meal (oddly enough, she loves chicken strips but is not a fan of chicken nuggets). I try to always have these and tater tots on hand for a quick meal when I don't feel like cooking. We like to dip them in a sauce made of blue cheese dressing and Frank's Red Hot Sauce.
We also have a variety of breads, cheeses, produce, and starches (cooked beans, cooked rice, frozen hash browns, etc.) in the freezer, which I incorporate into our meals.