Sunday, October 16, 2011

Menu October 17 - 21

First of all, an announcement.  Some of you know I started a second blog a while back, My Make-Ahead Meals.  Focusing a blog on one single facet of my cooking was an interesting experiment for a while, but I'm not posting enough in either place to make it worth keeping two blogs up, so I'm shutting that blog down.  I'll gradually post the recipes and tips from there over here, and then I'll pull it entirely.

That said, on to menu planning!



The last two weeks I've tried something new with our menu plan.  I have a small dry erase board on our fridge that I have used in the past to keep lists, notes, etc. on (we also have a large board on the fridge that we use for the grocery list, instructions for my husband when he's cooking dinner, and other important items).  The small board has now officially become our menu board.  This morning at breakfast, I pulled the board off the fridge and asked my husband and daughter what they want to eat this week.  Here's what we came up with:


Monday:  The board says spaghetti, but we didn't eat the pork chops I thawed for tonight's dinner, so we're having that instead.  We'll have spaghetti next week.  Not sure how I'm going to prepare them yet, but I'm looking at this recipe.  It's pretty similar to what we're having Tuesday, though, so I may go a different route. 

Tuesday:  cube steak and potatoes. That was my husband's contribution, and one of his favorite meals.  I dip it in milk and seasoned flour, then pan fry it, and serve it with garlic mashed potatoes and salad.

Wednesday:  chicken bake.  This will be a riff on the chicken bakes they sell at Costco - we just finished a box of them and apparently they were memorable to my two-year-old because she definitely wants them!  I'll make them like calzones, with alfredo sauce (though I think the official Chicken Bake might use caesar dressing), grilled chicken, bacon, green onions, and Italian blend cheese.  We'll probably have them with salad. 

Thursday:  creamed tuna.  Just because I'm still relishing the fact that, now that I get home an hour earlier three nights a week, biscuits can be a weeknight meal item once again.  I even bought buttermilk, so we'll be having the good ones!

Friday:  chicken and bows.  This is a new one for us, but it sounds delicious and I'm looking forward to trying it!  I'll be making it with a quick white sauce flavored with chicken broth instead of the cream of chicken soup, as I'm trying to steer away from those at the moment.

Feeling stuck with the same old boring meals?  Head on over to Meal Plan Monday at www.orgjunkie.comhttp://orgjunkie.com/category/menu-plan-monday and browse through thousands of menu suggestions from bloggers all over the internet!

Have a great week!

No comments: