Saturday, May 06, 2006

Be Prepared, Part 2

I've been thinking about emergency preparedness again. Playing the "what if" game. What if I only had a few minutes to get out of my house because of an emergency (I don't mean an emergency like a fire, in which case I'd grab the animals if I could find them and run, I mean an evacuation-type emergency). What would I grab? Would I be organized, or would I just take the first things I could see? I know lots of preparedness-minded individuals have what they call "bug out kits" - everything packed in one convenient location, you just grab it and run. Instead of actually packing a kit, I've decided to make a "bug out list" - things I'd want to take with me if we need to leave in a hurry.

Which makes me think, I really need to make sure that 1. I know where all these things are (my list is grouped by location in the house), and 2. I stay well-stocked on all these things so I have them if I need them.

We are fortunate in that we are tent campers, so a lot of this stuff is already grouped together in what we like to call the "camping closet". That's where we keep all the camping equipment. On my list, you'll see the "camping box", which is like a kitchen in a crate. It's a big plastic box that has everything I need to set up my camp kitchen - dishes, pots, pans, towels, soap, knives, silverware, a can opener, and so much more.

Now I know that, depending on the emergency, we might not need all this. But wouldn't it be nice to have in case we do! Here's the list - have I forgotten anything? Making this list reminds me - I really need to buy a water filter and more water storage vessels...they'd be nice to have for camping even if we never have an emergency!

Equipment
Camping box
Tent
Sleeping bags
Thermarests
Chairs
Camping table
First aid kit
Dog kit
Lantern
Campstove
Fuel
Flashlights
Lighters
Fire starters
Toilet paper
Water jugs (full)
Shovel
Axe
Saw
Dutch oven
Briquettes
Lighter fluid
Newspaper

Food
Dog food
Cat food
Flour
Sugar
Cornmeal
Oatmeal
Peanut butter
Crisco
Canned eggs
Canned meat
Chili
Beans
Dried fruit/vegetables
Canned fruit
Applesauce
Canned veggies
Powdered milk

Spices/Baking
Chili powder
Cumin
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Baking powder
Dried onions

Clothes
Underwear
Socks
Jeans
T-shirt
Flannel shirt
Sweats
Hat
Gloves
Coat

Pets
Treats
Leashes
Choke chains
Cat Crate

Other
BP medicine
Allergy medicine
Advil
Pepto caplets
Important papers – birth certificates, marriage license, car titles
Cash

No comments: