Sunday, December 04, 2011

December Grocery Challenge

The other day I was putting away a pile of groceries that had been accumulating on my kitchen floor, when suddenly I realized WHY I hadn't been eager to put them away - my pantry is FULL!  I've been doing a lot of stockpiling lately, since the grocery store I frequent just finished a remodel and was having some fabulous "grand reopening" specials.  I took full advantage of them - let's just say I have enough Annie's mac and cheese to last my daughter about six months! 

Compounding that, my freezers are so packed that things fall out if I open the door.  Not only have I stocked up on some great meat bargains lately, but much of our garden harvest went straight into the freezer. 

December is an expensive month for us.  Not only do we have Christmas and New Year's Eve and all that they entail, but also my daughter's birthday is this week, and this year we provided food for a special birthday party for my dad. And so, with all this in mind, I decided to embark on a grocery challenge for the month. 

This month, I will limit my grocery shopping for family eating to just fresh food - produce, dairy, eggs, lunch meat.  No "dinner" meat, no frozen food, no pantry food.  We have four loaves of bread in the freezer, which should be enough for sandwiches for the month.  As I write this, I am realizing that my darling daughter may mutiny on me if she doesn't have chicken strips, so I may have to pick up a bag of those if I can find a good deal on them.  Otherwise, the only other food I will buy will be for gatherings and gifts.  Much of what we will need can come from the pantry, but I may need to do some restocking on specific staples if, say, the homemade hot buttered rum mix uses up all the brown sugar (which may, in fact, happen). 

And now, it's time to start thinking creatively about meals, and how best to use all this abundance!

No comments: