Sunday, September 02, 2007

Ready for Fall

Happy September everyone! As I sit here, at 6:30 a.m., with a cool breeze blowing on me, a cup of creamy hot coffee, and a cat snuggling in my lap (and patiently putting up with my typing because his head MUST be on top of my right arm), I am excited about the impending arrival of fall.

I love fall. It's my favorite season of the whole year. Falling leaves...cool, crisp mornings...the first frost...Halloween...the end of allergy season...the return of the rain (not that it ever left us this summer, it seems). It's a beautiful thing. As a kid, I was almost always thrilled (with a couple of notable exceptions during my teen years) with the prospect of going back to school and getting back into my routine after a fun-filled summer hopping from camp to camp. As one who generally loved school, and didn't get to see my friends much when I was out of school, this was an exciting prospect.

Since we bought our wood stove and should have it installed sometime in the next month or two, I'm also looking forward to cozy evenings in front of the fire with a good book.

Yesterday I went outside to check on our apple tree and discovered that they are ripe. We don't have a big crop this year, I think the weather affected it. But we have enough to do something with - our apples are usually about six inches in diameter, so it doesn't take a whole lot of them - so now I just have to decide what to do with them.

Last night I made an apple crisp and some applesauce. The crisp was dessert; the sauce went right into the freezer. I'm thinking this is the year to break out my canning equipment and supplies and put up some apple pie filling (hubby's favorite waffle topping) and applesauce (which I've been using as a fat substitute when baking lately). Our apples are no good for eating raw (completely sour with a weird, spongy texture that I've never experienced in an apple before), but they are excellent when cooked. I'm also going to try saving the cores and peels to make apple jelly, something I've never done before. My grandma used to make it and it was always good on toast.

So bring it on, fall! I'm ready for you!

1 comment:

Kimmer said...

My daughter's allergies, which were on summer hiatus, seem to have returned in full force just this week.

I love autumn, too. The cooler weather is better for everything except swimming, and I'm looking forward to making soups and other comfort food. I don't really like the cold of winter, but autumn is perfect.