Sunday, August 19, 2007

Baking day

It's been a while since I've spent a day in the kitchen. We didn't have any plans today, and hubby didn't want to work on the yard, so I thought I'd have a baking day. Hubby is now getting on board (slowly, but surely) with the healthy eating thing, so I'm revamping some recipes to see if I can get something that's tasty without being over the top in fat and calories. First, I made a batch of zucchini bread (see next post), and then I whipped up a pan of banana pumpkin bread, substituting Splenda for the sugar, 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the white flour, and throwing in an extra banana because I had three dead ones in the pantry. Good stuff all around.

Hubby's been on a big granola kick lately, so I also whipped up a batch of honey granola with almonds and hazelnuts. Not sure how it's going to be, though, as I used Smart Balance instead of butter or stick margarine and it came out of the oven a little soft. Hopefully when it cools it will crisp up!

I haven't figured out yet what to make for dinner, but it's been nice spending some quality time in the kitchen!

No comments: