Monday, March 06, 2006

A computer-free life?

I've long thought that I'm an internet addict. Forums, blogs, Google, email - I could read for days on end and not get bored. Well, now my eyes are a little messed up and I need glasses for computer work. So, while I wait for the glasses to come in, I decided to try a little experiment. Could I go a whole weekend without the computer?

Short answer...NO! Well, but I did significantly cut back. Probably spent only an hour or so actually ON the computer. And I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself the rest of the time. So I read a lot. And I watched a lot of movies. Yes, I could have cleaned the house. But hey, this is *me* we're talking about here... :-)

I've realized that the internet is my primary link to the outside world. Not just the web, but email too. It's how I keep in touch with friends and family (I don't even have a long distance plan), meet new people who share my interests, find support on various issues (like my weight loss journey), and keep tabs on what's happening in the world. At this point, I'm not ready for a computer free life. I

So glasses, please be ready soon, ok?

3 comments:

MamaZuzi said...

And isn't the computer/internet how you met the hubbie too? :-)

kbeeps said...

Oh, yeah, that! Details, details! :-)

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize. i could spend 6 hours on here, easy. DH and I don't really get out much, except for the occasional party or "date". The kids and I go a lot of places- church, stores, parks, movie theaters, therapies, etc.. I don't even really get out with other homeschool parents. I talk to them online a lot, though.
I cannot live without the internet! That would be a big bad thing, if there were a nat'l emergency and we lost our power! I would have to sit down with pen and paper then, to substitute my internet satisfaction.