Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Harvest Update

I've been trying to be diligent about weighing nearly everything that we've harvested from our yard this year.  I'm curious to know just how productive our efforts are.  I haven't weighed the herbs and a couple of times I've skipped the mesclun, but for the most part, I've gotten it all (except, of course, for the occasional nibble that didn't make it back to the house!).  At first I was weighing an entire day's picking together, but now I'm separating it out by item.

Here's what we've gotten so far since we started picking back in April.  All produce is cleaned before weighing. 

Radish and lettuce thinnings (combined weight) - 3.625 ounces
Radishes - 1.8 pounds
Lettuce - 1.64 pounds
Strawberries - 10.25 pounds
Spinach - 1.25 pounds
Green onions - 1.13 ounces
Peas - 1.7 pounds
Potatoes - 3 pounds

Total harvest to date:  20.3 pounds.

I also harvested some baby fennel but I totally forgot to weigh it.  It wasn't more than half a pound, I'm sure. 

I am absolutely thrilled with the amount of food we're getting this year.  I've just about stopped buying vegetables at the store, though I have been picking up some things at the farmer's market that we don't grow.  Since my daughter wants to be outside all.the.time, I'm spending a lot more time weeding and tending to things, so it's not getting overgrown and out of control like it has in past years.  I'm also putting more of an effort into figuring out ways to creatively use what we have, too.  It's been fun and I'm looking forward to seeing how we land at the end of the season!

No comments: