Thursday, April 25, 2013

Freezer Inventory Menu List - Beef, Pig and Poultry

Over the last few days, I've been perusing the information and forums at Budget101.com and GroceryBudget101.com.  I'm not sure why the menu planning bug has suddenly struck once again, but it inspired me to take the freezer inventory I made on Saturday and plan out a list of meals I could make with the meat and other items tucked away in the freezer.

We've already used a package of Italian sausage and a quart of navy beans (in White Beans and Sausage, which was delicious and provided me with two days of lunch leftovers), a smoked turkey sausage in the kielbasa and cabbage, a box of taquitos, and a pound of hamburger (tonight was taco salad.  As per my usual, I cooked a pound of ground beef and a can of chili beans (separately - my husband won't eat the beans and I won't eat the taco meat), fed us dinner and set aside leftovers for his lunch tomorrow, and then put the remaining taco meat and beans in the freezer for the next time I make chili.  Tomorrow night we'll use some of the Canadian bacon in pizza noodles, and then I'll probably make the rest into egg McMuffin-type sandwiches that I can refreeze for quick breakfasts, though I may find something else to do with it instead.  I'm kind of up in the air on that. 

This is a work in progress that I'm sure I will edit as I go along (and add recipe links), but here's a start:

BEEF:

  • Cooked Corned Beef (2):  Hash is pretty much my only option here (picky husband).  
  • Ground Beef (5):  
  • Bulgogi meat (this is just thin sliced beef) (2):  
    • Bulgogi
    • Cheesesteak-style sandwiches
  • Chuck Roast (1):  After I bought this, my husband announced that he doesn't really like pot roast, so 'll probably cook it, cool it, then separate the meat from most of the fat and find some casserole recipes to use it in.
  • Flank Steak (1):  Grilled steak salad
  • Corned Beef (1):  See Cooked Corned Beef (I just cook it and then portion it out)
  • Boneless Chuck Steak (1):  Same deal as the chuck roast. 
  • Bottom Round Roast (1):  Eventually, my husband will make jerky out of this.  Though I'll probably insist on cutting a few hunks off first to make cube steak, one of his favorite meals.
PIG:

  • Ground Pork (2):  Add to meatballs/meatloaf mixture.  I don't do much with ground pork on its own unless it's made into sausage.
  • Loin Roast (1):  Roast pork
  • Loin Chops (1):  Grilled pork chops
  • Marinated pork loin (1):  Roast as is
  • Pork Shoulder (1):  Either Carnitas or Pulled pork (or maybe I'll cut it in half and do both)
 POULTRY:
  • Ground Turkey (1):  Turkey Burgers
  • Chicken Tenderloin (3):  
    • Bruschetta Chicken
    • Breaded and Baked Chicken (I have a couple of those new Kraft "Fresh Taste" breading packs in the freezer)
    • Blackened Chicken Salad
  • Shredded, Cooked Chicken (3):
  • Whole Chicken (1): Roasted or rotisseried
  • Whole Turkey (1):  Roasted
  • Thighs, Bone and Skin on (1):  Italian Shred
  • Thighs, Boneless/Skinless:  (2):  
  • Chicken Carcass (1):  Combine with carcass from whole chicken to make broth (which I will NOT forget about in the garage fridge like I did with the last batch!)
  • Chicken Broth (3):  To be used as needed in recipes.
That's enough for one post! For the rest of my ideas, click here.

No comments: